Modern Art in the Early 20th Century
1. What are three features that make art in the 1900s so different and 'modernist'?
2. What was the principle behind the Expressionist movement?
3. In terms of Die Brucke, how is a metropolis considered a paradox?
4. What are the two major types of Cubism that Braque and Picasso developed?
5. Describe Piet Mondrian's De Stijl type of painting.
6. What was the the goal of Andre Breton's Manifesto of Surrealism?
7. How did the Farm Securities Administration (FSA) contribute to art in the 1930's?
Terms To Know - Please describe the art movements - not just what they translate to in English!
Artwork to remember
|Frida Kahlo, The Two Fridas, 1939.||Marcel Duchamp, Fountain, 1917.||Umberto Boccioni, Unique Forms of Continuity in Space, 1913.||Pablo Picasso, Glass and Bottle of Suze, 1912.|
|Frank Lloyd Wright, Fallingwater, 1935-37.||Jacob Lawrence, During the War..., 1940-41.||Pablo Picasso, Guernica, 1937.||Salvador Dali, Persistence of Memory, 1931.|
|Grant Wood, American Gothic, 1930.||Dorothea Lange, Migrant Worker, 1936.||Malevich, Eight Red Rectangles, 1915.||Joan Miro, Dutch Interior I, 1928.|