PUBLIC PARTICIPATION IN BOARD MEETINGS
Ohio's Open Meetings Law
Ohio law mandates that school board meetings be open to the public with the exception of executive sessions. In an executive session, Ohio law permits the Board to discuss, but not vote, on personnel matters, property purchases, possible legal action, employee negotiations, security arrangements, and items the law says must be kept confidential.
To Speak Before the Board
At each meeting, the Board President will recognize visitors who wish to be heard. They are asked to fill out a card and give it to the President or Treasurer before the meeting.
Visitors who wish to address the Board are asked to state their name, address, and school or organization. Remarks must be addressed to the Board and should be brief (3 minutes) and to the point.
Speakers may offer such objective criticisms or suggestions regarding school operations or programs. The Board will not hear personal complaints of school personnel or against any person connected with the school district unless these complaints have first been addressed through the individuals, departments or administrators involved.
Please know that Public Participation is not a dialog or discussion between the speaker and the Board. It is an opportunity for you to present any ideas or concerns to the Board in a public forum. The Board will not debate the merits of your position; they will respectfully listen to your presentation.
You can expect the Board President to respond to your presentation through one or more of the following steps:
- Ask the Superintendent or a member of the Administration to follow up with you
- Refer your concern to a committee of the Board for further study
- Set a date for further follow-up or review
- Acknowledge that your concern may not be able to be addressed at the present time
- Thank you for your input and interest
- Mission of the Board of Education
- Board Aspirational Goals
- Board of Education Members Bios
- Board of Education Meeting Dates (opens in new window)
- Board Meeting Agendas and Minutes (opens in new window)
- Board Policy (opens in new window)
- Citizens Advisory Commission
- Speaking at Board Meetings
- Board Member Contact Information
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.